NDP 2022: Putting The Heart In Heartland Celebrations
STORY: Nicholas Yong
01 August 2022
🥳 The National Day Parade (NDP) is back at your doorstep this year in all its glory! That’s right, NDP celebrations are coming back to the heartlands after two years. Lots of celebratory stuff will be happening from this Saturday (6 August) until National Day itself.
Here are the deets:
The spirit of community
The celebrations kick off with carnivals happening at five heartland locations on 6 and 7 Aug, and organised in partnership with the People’s Association. Expect fun exhibitions, performances and activities for the whole family.
Entry is free, but you need to get tickets for the event, which you can do so at any community club. Each ticket comes with coupons that you can redeem for stuff like NDP packs at the carnival sites. Swee lah!
Alternatively, you can book e-tickets here, but no coupon or NDP pack unfort. Take note that you will be asked to show your vaccination status at the event.
Happening on 6 Aug, 4-9pm:
- Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park, Ficus Green - “Celebrations in the Park
- Punggol open field beside Waterway Point - “ONE Heart @ North-East”
- Open field next to Sembawang MRT Station - “Family Bliss @ North-West”
- Open field next to Buona Vista MRT Station - “Celebration with Our Stars”
Happening on 7 Aug, 4-9pm:
- Geylang Wisma Serai - themed “Celebrating Togetherness @ South-East”
And if you’re making the trip to one of these carnivals, why not head out early and rediscover some of the cool sights in our heartlands too?
The joy of family
The carnivals are perfect for a weekend family getaway – there will be music and dance performances, fun activities, and a static display of assets by the SAF and the Home Team. Perfect if the fam missed out on these at the recent Army Open House.
And the fun doesn’t stop there. On the morning of 7 August, crowd favourites the Red Lions will be executing freefall jumps at these two locations:
- Open Field next to Junction 8, Bishan: 8:40am to 9:30am
- Open Field along North Buona Vista Road, near Ghim Moh Food Market: 9:10am to 10:00am
The love of country
Then on National Day, before the State Flag Flypast across The Float @ Marina Bay, look to the skies between 5:25pm to 6:15pm to see two AH-64D Apache attack helicopters accompanying a Chinook helicopter that carries the massive 140kg State Flag.
They will pass by these two routes:
- The Western Route: Bukit Panjang, Bukit Timah, Kranji, Choa Chu Kang, Jurong, and West Coast.
- The Eastern Route: Khatib, Seng Kang, Punggol, Bedok, Pasir Ris, Changi, and East Coast.
And from 5:50pm to 6:15pm, six F-16C/D fighter jets will execute the Fighter Island Flypast, in a delta formation, across the nation. Hormat!
Cap off the day by watching the fireworks display at one of these five stadiums:
- Central Singapore: Open Field beside Ang Mo Kio Library
- North East: Old Tampines Junior College
- North West: Woodlands Stadium
- South West: Jurong West Stadium
- South East: Bedok Stadium
Doors open from 6pm. The fireworks display will happen between 8:15pm to 8:25pm, at the same time as the fireworks medley at The Float @ Marina Bay. It is not clear if there will be a screening of the NDP show at these locations, but make sure your phone is fully charged so you can livestream it at the same time!